Sunday, July 17, 2011

Face recognition at myheritage.com

An interesting  family tree webpage which bosts that has the best face recognition. I thought of putting it to test by using it's Celebrity Collage function which calculates to what celebrities does your face resemble. Maybe you will consider this as a narcism, but it just a cunning curiosity on my part. The first day in July 2011 I made 3 photos and run their recognition. Below are the 3 result sets for this pictures.

Face recognition at myheritage.com 1
Face recognition at myheritage.com 2 set
Face recognition at myheritage.com 3 set




It can be noted that Oded Fehr comes up in each set. The second day I made three other pictures in other light condition. The three result sets are the following. It can be seen the results are different.


To further test I run it on a 2010 smiling autumn foto of me which subjectively I don't consider to be the best or the most accurate of me. 

Erik Vail

The results of course all are smiling and Heat Ledger comes up again.


Morever I made a check on my 2010 passport photo which I don't publish here for security reasons.



For a 2011 march photo
Erik Vail
it gives me the following results with Oded Fehr and a Finnish singer Lauri Ylönen coming up again:


For a 1996 photo when my age was 19
Erik Vail 1996
a surprising result


Tom Cruise comes up and also Sarah Mitchell Gellar like in the 2011 photo. Also Oded Fehr is among the results of 2011 march photo. My conclusion is that the results pretty much depend on the light condition used in making the photos, on face position and on your facial expression. Smiling photo gets smiling results. Of course statistically these examples does not let you to draw a solid conclusion. But to be fair with myheritage.com  regarding face recognition it can be said that at least they have a hunch and scored some little points with meBecause of this torrid summer I end with a photo from Turkey, Istanbul, Topkapı palace enjoying a cold drink. If you have recognized me or just enjoyed the post give me a feedback by commenting. If  not you can try out The Young Turks.

Erik Vail a Topkapi palace, Istanbul, Turkey

1 comment: