Saturday, October 9, 2010

Dosbox - free DOS emulator for Windows, Mac, Linux

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox/I've found Dosbox very useful because I can run old DOS programs like games, compilers on Windows, Linux with ease and it's pretty easy to use.  To get started rapidly visit Dosbox page and download the software and install it. After install create a folder  where to put your DOS software (in my case is e:\dosprog), run Dosbox and mount the folder you have created.

 Z:\>mount c e:\dosprog

With the above command  I  mount e:\dosprog and set it as a c drive for Dosbox After running the command I acces the c drive.


Z:\>c:

When I am on c  I can list the available directories with the dir command. Even with ALT+ENTER I can switch to fullscreen and back. In my case  with cd tclite I move into the tclite folder and run TClite.


TClite running on Dosbox



Dosbox is an open source project at sourceforge. If you want to read more on Dosbox check out their website, wikipedia or even an Amazon booklit. Your questions of feedbacks are welcomed!

No comments:

Post a Comment